Friday 6 December 2019

Reglueing the Fretboard

Time to re-assemble and glue the fretboard back on :-)

First, I prepared the 2 mating faces by scraping to remove the old glue residue. I heated the surface with a hairdryer as I did it to help soften the glue. 


I'd tried to get hold of some very long elastic bands to use to "clamp" the two parts together but the only ones I could find were from America! Then I thought of using sections cut from an old bike inner tube, which would have worked. 

But what I ended up using was an old "resistance band" from when I was doing physio on a neck injury a couple of years ago. I split it in half and it was perfect for the job.


Masking tape was stuck over the truss rod to keep the glue off it. Then TiteBond glue applied and spread into a thin layer, before removing the masking tape.






The glue will spread sideways under pressure, but should stay off the truss rod. Next I temporarily clamped the fretboard in place, including a small clamp to ensure that it was correctly located side-to side.


Then wrapped the elastic band tightly round the neck, starting at the nut end and removing clamps as I went. It's surprising how much pressure you can apply like this. I've cleaned off any glue that's squeezed out as I went along but I'm sure I'll have to stilll  get some off once it's set. In theory, the rubber band shouldn't stick to it - we shall see. Now just need to leave for 24 hours to cure.


No comments:

Post a Comment