Sunday 1 December 2019

Repairing the Truss Rod - 1

I've decided to try option 3 first - making a new threaded rod to fit into the existing truss rod. 

Seems to me that Option 2 would cost too much by the time I've paid someone to weld a new piece of round bar to extend the broken one, and I'd still have to buy a new truss rod nut.

Option 1 - buying a new truss rod - is feasible. You can get them off EBay for less than £15. But I'd have to adapt the neck, either by glueing in packing pieces or routing out a bigger channel.

So I'm trying Option 3 first, with a fall back on Option 1.

I'm going to buy a length of 5mm round bar from the local DIY store:



 and I've ordered a new truss rod nut off EBay:


So, total cost so far is £7.75!

I'll have enough steel to have 2 attempts and worst case is that I fall back on option 1, but I'll already have the truss rod nut to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment