Saturday 30 November 2019

Next Project - Fingerboard removal and truss rod repair

I bought this Applause AE28 electro-acoustic off EBay over a year ago. It is in pretty much brand new condition, hardly played and cost me less than £30. They weren't a particularly expensive guitar when new; less than £200 I think and can be found second hand for less than £100. 

Applause is Ovation's budget brand. It follows the Ovation build practice of having a round ABS (I think) back, and is bonded to a spruce top (not solid top). There is nothing particularly elegant about it and they sound a bit weedy unplugged, but allegedly better when plugged in. 


So why was it so cheap? The original owner was an electric guitar player and used to a very low action. He was trying to get the action very low by adjusting the truss rod. He overdid it and "twang" the truss rod snapped! So the neck has no tension in it and the action is really high, particularly on the nut end - you can see the upward bend on the neck in this photo. 


There should be an adjusting nut accessible through the soundhole (you can just see the access hole in the spruce inner bracing below the bottom of the fingerboard in this next photo) but it's what snapped off, so not there.


Why go to the effort of repairing this guitar? To fix it, I'll need to remove and replace the fingerboard (to get access to the truss rod). On my previous project (the Faith neck repair)  I had originally thought that I would need to remove the fingerboard to do the neck repair, and I wanted to try first on a cheap guitar that I wouldn't be precious about if I damaged it or it went wrong. So I bought this as the practice project. As it happens, I didn't need to take the fingerboard off on the Faith, so this project was sidelined.

However, the Faith project wasn't wholly successful and I need to do some further work on the neck joint, which means removing the fingerboard, so this project is back on the table as a practice. If I can fix it, it will go to a good home as a decent beginner guitar for someone.

So the plan of action is to:

  • remove the strings
  • remove the nut to give access to the joint between neck and fingerboard
  • remove the fingerboard
  • fix or replace the trussrod
  • prepare neck and fingerboard for reuse
  • reglue fingerboard
  • reglue nut
  • new strings, set up and play!





No comments:

Post a Comment