Friday 2 October 2020

The Gouzouki Project - Heel Extension/Fingerboard Support

 

In a traditional, glued neck joint, the part of the fingerboard extending beyond the body joint would be glued on to the body of the guitar. Because this design uses a bolt-on neck, it needs an extension piece on the neck to support the fingerboard instead of the body. You can see it on the original neck below.



I cut a piece from the leftover sapele to match the shape of the original. I had to make the piece inset into the neck narrower, because the gouzouki neck will ultimately be about 10mm narrower than the guitar neck at this point, so I stepped it in 5mm each side.



Then I marked up the neck and set up a straight edge so that I could use the palm router to form a rebate to glue the extension piece into. Note that the square is also clamped in place to act as a stop. I don't do sophisticated!




Once I'd taken the edges out, I went back over the centre and routed it out freehand. This little palm router is proving to be a handy little tool. I got it for next to nothing from Aldi, so OK but not great quality, but it is nice and easy to manage for more delicate work.








Et voila!










No comments:

Post a Comment