Friday 31 May 2019

Refinishing

With the nasty stain removed from the previous finish, you can actually see that the original scarf joint in the neck runs across my repair, so there are now about 7 pieces of wood glued together in this area! This is the tung oil that I am using to refinish the repaired area. Basically the process is to rub it on with a lint free cloth; wipe any excess off after 20 mins then repeat 24 hours later. The first 2 coats are thinned down 50/50 with white spirit.


I reassembled the machine heads etc and glued the nut back in while I was waiting for the  first coat to dry.


A couple of side and rear views of the repair. I'm quite pleased how it turned out really, considering I just used a scrap of hardwood I had lying around!




It's had about 5 coats here and is darkening up nicely. I don't think it will ever be "discreet", but that wasn't what I was aiming for.



No comments:

Post a Comment