Sunday 2 February 2020

Faith Naked Venus Neck Repair - Part 2 - Introduction


Avid followers of this blog (all 3 of you) will remember last year's project to repair the broken neck on my Faith Naked Venus.I bought this guitar for not a huge amount of money off EBay a couple of years ago as a guinea pig to get to try out my ham fisted luthiery  before I spend more significant money on trying to build an acoustic guitar from scratch.


Well, it kind of worked, in that I have a fairly solid neck now, but the alignment of the fingerboard was all over the place, with a pronounced kick up at the neck by about 2mm - not good and pretty unplayable unless you capo it above this point. It's also very ugly, as the photos prove. So, now that I have the experience of removing and repacing the fingerboard under my belt, I thought I'd do that on the Faith and correct the flatness of the neck before re-gluing. 



I'm still not convinced this will be the end of the story and I have in the back of my mind that I might ultimately try making a new neck, as that is the part of building a guitar that I'm most phased by, so it would be good to practice first.

Simple plan of action is:
  • remove fingerboard
  • flatten neck at the nut
  • reglue fingerboard 
Learning lessons from the Applause repair, first I'm going to make some specific clamps and cauls for the fingerboard to try and get as much even pressure on it as I can when it comes to reglueing.

No comments:

Post a Comment