Sunday 2 February 2020

Reglueing the Fingerboard and Reflections

Protect the truss rod with a strip of tape and then spread glue around it. AVOID CUTTING FINGERS ON SHARP BITS OF STAPLES! 😧

Then remove the tape. The glue will push out into the area next to the truss rod as it's clamped up.



Then clamp up using the special caul and clamps I made earlier, plus another clamp at the heel and one through the soundhole.



You can see from this angle that the end result is a massive improvement. The nut is a bit of an issue though - I think I have probably over trimmed it a bit while trying to rectify the kick up previously. May have to revisit this area.


Reflections:

All done for now and re-strung. this has been a massive improvement and the guitar looks better and is so much more playable now. I have used it at a couple of sessions and it sounds good. 

It's still only at 75% though and, now that I've lived with it for a couple of weeks,  I really think that I am going to build a new neck to try and get it to 95% or hopefully 100%, depending on how capable I prove to be! 

The fingerboard clamps were a success - it's a much tighter and consistent join than I managed on the Applause. It actually took longer to make the clamps and caul than it did to do the repair (which was about 2 hours)!




No comments:

Post a Comment